Our Story

Rochester Optical was established in 1932. The owner, at the time, saw a growing need for protective eyewear for the armed forces, aircraft pilots and patrolmen. Later Rochester Optical became one of the few Military frame manufacturers in the country and supplied the Army and Air force; providing combat-ready eyewear for soldiers. The company expanded its services after WWII, to include selling and creating eyewear for the general public, producing many popular styles of the time with polarized tints.

In 1989, on the verge of hemorrhaging money, the business was sold to Patrick Ho, making the sale final in 1990.


Since 1990, Rochester Optical has added a large, full-functioning optical lab, maintained its retail locations, added a wholesale business line, wearable device solutions and stock lens facility.


The company currently has 120-200 fulltime; part-time and per diem staff members. We are poised to be an optical leader and innovator in the eyewear space, and continue to expand in our departments throughout the east coast with headquarters in Rochester, NY.